Monday, March 28, 2011

Bergedil Sardin

Yeah...there are times when you really don't know what to cook.  Hubby just got home from the groceries stores having to only buy milk and bread but ending up with a few cans of Sardine in his hands.  Sardine...hmmm, that has been a while eh!  In Malaysia Sardine is usually make into a dish or filling for sandwiches. I love to make Curry Sardine which I will definitely upload the next time. But this time I wanted to make something else for a change.  I made the sardine in to a side dish called 'Bergedil Sardin'.  What is Bergedil? The name may sound strange to some but Bergedil is a malay word for meatballs and is usually a mix of minced meat/ tuna fish with potato.
It was fun to see all the ingredient mixing around in the food processor so I got my youngest son to help and shape up the Bergedil.

Here is the recipe:

I used 2 cans of Sardine (medium size fish) - discard the tomato sauce and mash the sardines with fork.
1 medium size red onion - Finely chopped
2 egg yolks
1 Handful coriander - Finely chopped
1 cube fish granules (I used Ikan bilis fish granules from Malaysia, but other brand of Fish stocks would do)
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
Pepper to taste
120gm  breadcrumbs
( I would reduce to 70gm next time, I prefer the texture softer)


Mix all ingredients in a food processor and form it into oval shape.  Dip it in egg white and deep fry in medium low fire. Let the oil drain on a kitchen towel before serving.
You can eat it as a side dish to your warm rice or as a snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment