Friday, March 18, 2011

Thai papaya salad @ Som Tam

Hot, spicy, sour all in one.  A delicious starter before dinner. It does help opens up your taste-buds a little.  I always makes it extra so that I can eat it the next day for lunch.  For those who has been to Thailand, I'm sure you must have seen all the food stalls that sells som tam too. Lucky enough in the Netherlands you can buy papaya at the Vegetable monger or asian shops.  The papaya comes from Malaysia or Thailand and to me they both taste the same, only varies in price.  All of the ingredients you can easily buy from a Toko shop/asian shop in The Netherlands.;

Here is the receipe :-
1 green papaya
1/2 cup Long green beens
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup toasted peanuts
1/4 cup dried shrimps
1/2 cup hard baby tomatoes
2 tablespoon Nam Pla (fish sauce)
4 Cili api ( Bird eye chillies) - this is mild but I like it spicy so I had more.
2 tablespoon Thai Sugar paste / palm sugar
1 - 2 juice of lime

Peel the skin of papaya and grate the papaya thinly and set aside. I used a special som tam shredder.
Cut the long beens, and halved the tomatoes
To make som tam you need a mortar and a pestle.  I do not have a special mortar so I used a plastic baking bowl. If you do not have the pestle you can use a rolling pin, which I did in the beginning before my sister bought me the som tam pestle from Thailand.

Firstly, pound garlic together with the bird eye chillies till fine, add palm sugar and continue pounding, add toasted peanuts and pound coarsely, add lime juice and nampla. Once it is mixed add dried shrimps, and lastly the raw vegetables, start of with long beans pound a little, then add the tomatoes and finally the papaya.  Pound and stir with a spoon once a while to get it really mix.

Its difficult to say the exact amount of ingredients you need to use for this dish. Once you get the hang of the taste you can add more of the flavour you like or minimise it to your own taste bud.

Serve it on a plate. You can garnish with a shredded carrots for the colours if you like. You can eat it as a snack, lunch, dinner...just about any time of the day if you are up to it!
Here is mine....



No comments:

Post a Comment